Planning A Program: Time Management
The following is an example of how to plan and implement a time management workshop.
Planning & Implementation
- Complete the PROGRAM PLANNING SHEET. This answers all of the key factors of planning and implementation.
- Complete a timeline for this event. The timeline should begin from day one until the event is completed and evaluation is completed. It should be specific in terms of date and responsibilities to be covered.
- How many people do you need to assist with this event? What will their responsibilities be? Look at your planning sheet. Appoint someone to oversee each of the major sections of the planning as per your situation.
- Professional Contracts/Purchases
- How many planning meetings will we need? When and where will we meet? At the first meeting set up the next two meetings dates and venues. Get your chapter Secretary or Administrative Chair to send reminders about these meetings one week prior and 1 day before.
- What is your budget for this activity? It is critical that you look at your overall programs budget and decide what percentage of that budget should be spent on this activity. Spend budgeted money on those items for which you obtain sponsorship. A time management workshop may require the following:
- Projector/Computer Rental - Does the speaker need this?
- Space - Which room and building on campus?
- Speaker - Who is the speaker?
- Honorarium (for speaker) – What will this be?
- Door Prizes (for attendees) – yes/no?
- Snacks – pizza, chicken, fruit juice?
The first two items in the list can be avoided as an expense by using the university’s resources. These items are generally loaned to registered student organizations for free. A chapter member may be able to donate the usage of his/her laptop. Rental of these items should be communicated in writing at least two weeks in advance to avoid problems on the day of the event. Confirm again on the week of the event.
The last three items on the list may be donated from local businesses, but don’t expect it. You can look to obtain gift certificates and gift cards to purchase items. Contact your chapter Finance Chair for more assistance in getting donations and sponsorship. If no sponsorship is available submit all forms to your finance zone to get purchase authorizations for what you need to purchase.
- Timeline for the day of the event. As you get closer to the event you will need to create a timeline of what needs to happen and when it should happen on the day of and/or even one day prior to the event. You should make sure everyone understands their role in making these things happen at their appointed time. LACK OF TIME MANAGEMENT WILL NEGATIVELY AFFECT YOUR EVENT.
- Who will be responsible for distributing and collecting the participant evaluations? When will they be collected? Who will complete the program evaluation sheet? When will they be analyzed and by whom? Who will get the planning, evaluation and supporting documents to the proper person for documentation in the CDP?
These 7 steps will help you to effectively plan and implement an academic workshop/seminar. This same procedure can be followed for the next event.